POSITION SUMMARY: Serve as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of Charles Wright Academy. Oversees all aspects of Finance and Operations for a complex $17 million non-profit organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1. Financial Planning and Analysis • Lead the school’s short and long-term financial planning process. • Develop and implement long-term strategic financial plan in conjunction with senior administrators and Board. • Prepare and recommend an annual operating budget for approval of the Head of School, Finance Committee and Board; oversee all steps of the operating budget cycle. Track performance to budget on an ongoing basis. • Conduct research and analysis necessary to support financial planning efforts. • Prepare financial reports for presentation to the Board. Support the Board Treasurer in all Treasury functions.
2. Financial Management • Monitor school’s cash flow on an ongoing basis. • Maintain school’s banking relationships. • Regularly evaluate school’s short and long term plant and equipment capital requirements. Maintain reserve account levels to meet current and future needs of school. • Manage purchasing policies and procedures. Maintain effective cost management practices. • Serve as a member of the school’s Financial Aid Committee.
3. Accounting • Oversee all accounting systems, practices and personnel. Ensure appropriate internal controls and financial procedures are maintained. • Work with the Audit Committee and external accounting firm to complete an annual audit and prepare the school's financial statements. • Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting is made as required to government or accreditation entities
4. Endowment • Work with the Endowment Committee and external fund manager to manage our $30 million endowment fund. • Maintain accurate accounting for all funds. • Ensure endowment management practices meet all legal and ethical standards.
5. Risk Management/Legal • Advise and negotiate all significant contracts on behalf of the school. • Oversee all aspects of risk management for the school. • Manage the school’s insurance policies and ensure adequate coverage is maintained. Negotiate annual insurance renewals. Recommend policy changes to Head of School and Finance Committee. • Ensure school is in compliance with local, state and federal regulations and laws, as well as with NAIS certification requirements. • Work with outside legal counsel as may be appropriate.
6. Ancillary Services • Manage school’s Custodian service to provide quality cleaning and upkeep for the school campus buildings. • Oversee Food Service vendor that offers excellent services for students and staff on a daily basis, as well as catering for special events. • Collaborate with the Director of Facilities and Transportation as appropriate on financial and budgetary issues.
7. Human Resources • Working with the Human Resources Manager and the Head of School, oversee the coordination of salary and benefits administration, operations staff evaluation, employment procedures, and personnel policies. • Investigate cost-effective benefit plans and other fringe benefits that will ensure the school is able to attract and retain qualified employees.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Degree in business, accounting or related field, CPA and/or MBA preferred. 2. Significant experience with financial management and reporting preferably in a school or nonprofit environment. 3. Significant experience with nonprofit accounting (including endowment accounting) strongly preferred. 4. Solid understanding of investment strategies, options and practices. Experience in purchasing, health and retirement benefits, contracting, and construction oversight strongly preferred. 5. High degree of integrity, confidentiality, and dependability. 6. Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines. 7. Strong and effective communication skills, both verbal and written. 8. Experience with information technology, including financial and accounting software programs. 9. Ability to work independently in a multi-tasking environment. 10. Excellent analytical and strategic thinking skills. 11. Demonstrated ability to lead and supervise others in a collaborative fashion. 12. Prior supervisory experience at a similar organization level. 13. Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal skills to develop and maintain good rapport with all constituents. 14. Appreciation for a P-12 academic culture.