PeaceHealth is seeking a Medical Technologist Lead - Core Testing Whatcom for a 1.0 full time equivalent Non-Exempt position. This position will be working Evening shift with shift durations of 8 Hours .
Req ID: 157947
Responsible for coordinating the day to day functions for assigned area. Assists with ensuring that departmental goals are achieved, timelines met and service excellence provided in all aspects of work. Serves as a subject matter expert. Responsible for performing complex laboratory procedures and tests in areas such as blood bank, chemistry, hematology, immunology and microbiology, using established protocols and procedures. Monitors, screens and troubleshoots devices, tests and procedures, recognizing anomalies, and making corrections to ensure quality. Serves as a model for professionalism by focusing on patient care; respectful communication to coworkers and clients; safe work practices; and attention to rapid and accurate testing.
1. Assigns work; plans and manages priorities, provides technical assistance, oversees staff schedules, monitors quality of work, monitors team projects, mentors staff, provides constructive feedback, oversees staff training, ensures quality improvement, provides leadership feedback on staff performance, and assists with goal setting for the team.
2. Evaluates specimens for testing, utilizes appropriate criteria and upholds established performance standards. Applies established criteria for testing, and analysis of entire process from preparation, conducting test, functioning of devices and procedures to ensure quality test results. Performs waived, moderate and high complexity laboratory tests.
3. Maintains equipment and tools; performs quality assurance testing, routine calibration and ensures optimal performance.
4. Participates in the evaluations of techniques and procedures. Develops, evaluates and implements new procedures or protocols and tests.
5. Consults with clinicians, supervisor and other caregivers as appropriate on test results, requirements and testing protocols.
6. Gives direction and guidance to other caregivers, trains new caregivers and students. Provides in-services which apply toward the continuing education requirements and in alignment with the continuing education program.
7. Maintains appropriate records for specimens, tests and data. Utilizes computer systems in reporting and documenting analysis.
8. Participates in department in-services and continuing education programs, attending lectures, workshops and video presentation as required. Participates in required competency assessment and proficiency testing activities. Ensures compliance with legal and regulatory requirements (CAP, HIPAA, etc) and provides active support. HIPA, etc) and provides active support.
9. May perform CAP (College of American Pathologists) compliance duties to include: periodic record reviews; equipment and test validation; development and maintenance of policy, procedure and guidance documents; proficiency testing and competency management; CAP inspection preparation, assessment and follow up; and technical and procedural advisement and referral.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelors degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry or Biological Science or equivalent is required.
Minimum of one year of Medical Technologist experience is required.
Certified Medical Technologist, ASCP or equivalent is preferred.
Valid driver's license for driving positions.
Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in responding to inquiries
Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office programs
Moderate lifting up to 35 pounds
Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages, ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra
General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and do minor repairs
Works in a clinical laboratory or hospital setting. Intermittently (1-5% of the time) works in other office, client and conference facility environments. Continuous (67 - 100%) exposure to moderate noise level. The ability to frequently (34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying is required. Intermittent (1-5%) lifting and carrying of up to 45 pounds is required. Must have good manual dexterity of both hands and employ fine hand movements to continuously (67 - 100%) manipulate instruments, computer terminal keyboards and other items. Good corrected vision and the ability to do near point work at varying distances from the eye is required. The ability to identify and distinguish colors is required. Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood or body fluids containing blood, or other potentially infectious materials, and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals is required.
There may be more than one opening on this posting.
Please apply online to be considered. For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 900 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social justice in fulfilling its Mission.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission-driven work environment! To learn more about working at PeaceHealth and the Bellingham community please visit our homepage: www.peacehealth.org/careers .
Location: Bellingham , St. Joseph Medical Center (216) Job Category: Allied, Ancillary & Clinical Support Shift: Evening Shift Length: 8 Hours FTE: 1.0 Work Type: Full Time Hourly compensation starts at: $ 31.05 , more depending on experience Required Certifications/Licensure:
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without regard to the following statuses: protected veteran; qualified individual with a disability; race; ethnicity; religion; gender; pregnancy; gender identity; national origin; age; genetic information; sexual orientation; or any other protected status in accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Posting Notes: Bellingham || Allied, Ancillary & Clinical Support || Technician / Technologist || Full Time || TESTING SERVICES
Internal Number: 157947
PeaceHealth Physicians are as diverse as the communities they serve, but have the following in common:Dedication to carrying on the healing mission of Jesus Christ by promoting personal and community health, relieving pain and suffering and treating each person in a loving and caring way.A shared vision of every patient receiving exceptional, compassionate evidence-based care, every time, every touch.