PeaceHealth is seeking a Medical Lab Technician - PIMC Lab for a 1.0 full time equivalent Non-Exempt position. This position will be working Day shift with shift durations of 12 Hours .
Req ID: 157409 This position is full time 40 hours plus on call pager hours during nights every 3rd week.
Responsible for performing a broad range of laboratory procedures and tests and may concentrate performing those duties in one of the following areas; blood banking, chemistry, hematology, immunology and microbiology or drug testing services.
1. Collects, processes and performs a variety of moderate and high complexity tests on specimens and complete all documentation.
2. Maintains equipment and records, monitors tests and procedures to perform quality assurance activities related to test performance.
3. Participates in the evaluation fo new techniques and procedures which includes evolution of impact to personnel, equipment requirements, space, method of comparison, cost analysis, establishment of reference intervals, standard operating procedures and based on outcomes develops recommendations as well as assists with the implementation of any changes.
4. Gives direction and guidance to other caregivers, trains new caregivers and students. Provides in-services which apply toward the continuing education requirements and in alignment with the continuing education program.
5. Consults with clinicians, supervisor and other caregivers as appropriate on test results, requirements and testing protocols.
6. Maintains appropriate records for specimens, tests and data. Utilizes computer systems in reporting and documenting analysis.
7. Participates in department in-services and continuing education programs, attending lectures, workshops and video presentation as required. Participates in required competency assessment and proficiency testing activities. Provides active (CAP, HIPPA, etc.) support.
8. May perform CAP (College of American Pathologists) compliance duties to include: periodic record reviews; equipment and test validation; development and maintenance of policy, procedure and guidance documents; proficiency testing and competency management; CAP inspection preparation, assessment and follow up; and technical and procedural advisement and referral.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Associate degree in Medical Laboratory Technician, Chemistry or Biological Science or equivalent.
Current with ongoing education requirements for continuous certification.
2 years' experience performing high complexity testing in a clinical laboratory department preferred.
Certified Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) by American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or American Medical Technologist (AMT) required within six months of date of hire.
Ability to recognize and ensure validity of abnormal patient and/or QC results for testing.
Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in responding to inquiries
Good written and verbal communication skills
Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office programs
Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages, ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra
General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and do minor repairs
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
Shares on-call duties, approximately 33% time
Must live on San Juan Island (Friday Harbor) to ensure incumbent is within 30 minutes of the hospital
Certified with Washington State Department of Health for Medical Assistant Phlebotomist is desired
Works in a clinical laboratory or hospital setting. Intermittently (1-5% of the time) works in other office, client and conference facility environments. Continuous (67 - 100%) exposure to moderate noise level. The ability to frequently (34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying is required. Intermittent (1-5%) lifting and carrying of up to 45 pounds is required. Must have good manual dexterity of both hands and employ fine hand movements to continuously (67 - 100%) manipulate instruments, computer terminal keyboards and other items. Good corrected vision and the ability to do near point work at varying distances from the eye is required. The ability to identify and distinguish colors is required. Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood or body fluids containing blood, or other potentially infectious materials, and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals is required.
Please apply online to be considered. For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 900 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social justice in fulfilling its Mission.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission-driven work environment! To learn more about working at PeaceHealth and the Friday Harbor community please visit our homepage: www.peacehealth.org/careers .
Location: Friday Harbor , Peace Island Medical Center (221) Job Category: Allied, Ancillary & Clinical Support Shift: Day Shift Length: 12 Hours FTE: 1.0 Work Type: Full Time Hourly compensation starts at: $ 23.85 , more depending on experience Required Certifications/Licensure: Medical Assistant Phlebotomist - Washington
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without regard to the following statuses: protected veteran; qualified individual with a disability; race; ethnicity; religion; gender; pregnancy; gender identity; national origin; age; genetic information; sexual orientation; or any other protected status in accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Posting Notes: Friday Harbor || Allied, Ancillary & Clinical Support || Lab Services || Full Time || TESTING SERVICES
PeaceHealth Physicians are as diverse as the communities they serve, but have the following in common:Dedication to carrying on the healing mission of Jesus Christ by promoting personal and community health, relieving pain and suffering and treating each person in a loving and caring way.A shared vision of every patient receiving exceptional, compassionate evidence-based care, every time, every touch.